Rewa Ultra Mega Solar is a proposed solar power plant in the Rewa district of Madhya Pradesh, with a total solar installed capacity of 750 MW. Once completed in 2018, it would become one of the largest single-site solar power plant in India and the world. Project has unique structuring and cater the needs of different type of power off taker namely; Power Management Company, MP and Delhi Metro Rail Corporation. In order to facilitate evacuation of power from the project site to range of consumers, PGCIL is developing the 220/400 KV substation. The bid process for this project in now complete after a marathon 33 hours of non-stop bidding by the shortlisted bidders. Mahindra Renewables, ACME Solar Holdings and Solengeri Power have emerged as the winner for project’s three units at tariffs of Rs 2.979, Rs 2.970 and Rs 2.974 for the first year. This is the lowest tariff ever discovered through a bidding process for solar projects in India.
Madhya Pradesh Power Management Company Limited (MPPMCL): MPPMCL is the holding company of the three distribution companies in the state of Madhya Pradesh. It is responsible for the bulk power purchase of the three Distribution companies. MPPMCL will get 76% of the power produced from Rewa Solar Power plant.
Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC): DMRC, the Delhi Metro has been instrumental in ushering in a new era in the sphere of mass urban transportation in India. The swanky and modern Metro system introduced comfortable, air conditioned and eco-friendly services for the first time in India and completely revolutionized the mass transportation scenario not only in the National Capital Region but the entire country. DMRC will get 24% of the power produced from the Rewa Solar Power plant and would cater to almost 90% of its day requirements
The facilities being provided by the RUMS ltd. for the development of the Solar Power plant are as follows:
- 1590 hectare of land has been identified for the project and will be provided to the developer.
- 3 X 33/220 KV Pooling substation will be constructed to evacuate power from the Rewa Solar power project (Funding through World Bank loan)
- PGCIL is developing 220/400 kV Inter-state transmission system for Rewa Solar Power Plant
- First Solar Project in India having different Categories of Off-takers:
*MPPMCL and Discoms (Licensed Utilities)
*DMRC (Open Access Consumer)
- First project to get funding from Clean Technology Fund (CTF) in India
- Innovative design of Contracts to address the varying demand pattern of the off-takers.
- Three tier payment security Mechanism – First time in India
- Largest solar power tender led by a State: other recent bids in news are led by CPSUs
- No use of subsidy (Viability Gap Funding)
- Bidders allowed unprecedented flexibility in bidding for Projects – Unique reverse auction being tried for first time in India
- World Bank funding first solar park in India
- De-risking of variables for the bidders: Robust contract documents allow project to be bankable
- Cheap power to the Discom in Madhya Pradesh
- Fulfilment of Discoms RPOs
- PGCIL developed ISTS network under green corridor will be beneficial for the state to evacuate green power generated
- Overall employment generation during construction phase of solar plant as well as after commissioning